Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Love The Midwest

I will begin by saying that today it is amazing outside and God is awesome! Unfortunately, on the most beautiful day in a very long time, I have a very sad, very sick child.

Sam woke this morning with an earache, so I did what any good mom would do and took him to Wal-Mart:) If this decision seems puzzling, you are not alone. When Sam asked where we were going, I told him we were going to the doctor to make him feel better. Since he is a toddler, he asked again where we were going and this time I told him that we were actually going to Wal-Mart to see the doctor. He responded in all of his toddler wisdom, "That is not right. Wal-Mart just has food." So, as I dressed Sam, I shared with him that Wal-Mart is a world unto itself. Right or wrong, you can get your tires rotated, your nails and hair did, your check deposited, your picture taken, your flu shot, and bananas all in one spot. (I could have mentioned that you can get your eyes checked too but my father-in-law is an optometrist so I cannot and will not speak of and do not know about the quality of that service;)) After Sam got over the confusion and probably sadness of the Wal-Mart reality, he hopped in the car and off we went.

Ok, so let me be clear in saying that a doctor in Wal-Mart is not a first option but it definitely should be in a list of options for any desperate mommy. Our regular pediatrician couldn't see Sam until tomorrow and short of storming the clinic with threats of leaving Sam there unsupervised until he was seen, Wally World was our choice! So, we visited the clinic inside the store and I will say it was strangely fabulous! I mean when can you go to the doctor on no notice, get a buzzer like you are at Applebees to let you know your exam table is available, and actually get some shopping done, or many of the other things I listed above, while you wait?

Okay, so we got done with the doctor and went to find Tylenol to go along with our antibiotic cocktail to get Sam back in fighting condition or heavily sedated. Either way would make this sleep deprived momma happy! Now, here is where the story is amusing in my opinion, and I think this is what makes the Midwest so fantastic! My items were limited so I chose the "check yourself out line" because I secretly think I am always faster than the cashiers:) Anyway, because we live in a curious world, once my Tylenol Cold was scanned, an alarm went off and the little cash register supervisor had to come and type a secret code and my age into the register so that I could purchase this medicine. I am not sure what the age requirement is for this type of drug, but make sure you take an ID with you just in case. So, after clearance from Clarence, I opened the box and started reading directions so that I could give Sam his medicine right there. I guess Clarence is actually Dr. Clarence because then cash register supervisor man returned to help me with dosing instructions. He took the box from me and asked Sam's age. Upon realizing that Sam's age required asking a doctor, Clarence then did some quickie math in his head and recommended 1 teaspoon. I agreed with his prescription and told him that I would also check back in with the clinic doctor to verify but sadly enough as I explained this to him, I worried that he might be offended that I was going in for a second opinion. So, I spoke with the receptionist at the clinic about the dosing. I guess she is a doctor too because she told me what she gives her granddaughter and obviously felt comfortable with her recommendations because she told me 1 teaspoon and sent me on my way not offering to check with the attending physician. Ok, strangely enough, I felt comfortable too with the conclusion that the clinic receptionist, Wal-Mart cash register supervisor, and I had come to so I proceeded to head for the door. However, I did not get out of the doors before Dr. Clarence (cash register supervisor) stopped me to verify that his dosing instructions were correct, I guess so that he would be prepared for the next customer;)

Now, I titled this blog "I Love The Midwest" because I am not certain but I feel quite comfortable in saying that this whole scenario could not and would not have played out in many other areas of the country or world for that matter. I love the Midwest, and I love Wal-Mart for making my life so much more interesting at such a low price:)

1 comment:

the boyd girls.... said...

YOu are so funny! I love reading your blog.....