Saturday, April 4, 2009

Oh, Isaac!

I know that as a defense mechanism we sometimes block things from our memory so that we can simply continue to move forward in life and feel the sunshine on our face. I can only assume that this is what I have done with all memories of Will and Sam when they were 16 months-old. I find it amazing that I could forget a chaos similar to the tornado we lovingly call Ike. Although he is precious and I love him very much there have been several days lately that I am not sure that I like him a whole lot.
He is just everywhere! If I leave the kitchen, he moves the chairs so that he can climb up onto the table and chunk fake fruit across the room.

If I take my eyes off of him to tend to something or someone else or even just look in the opposite direction, he scurries to the plastic drawer to begin unloading it into the trash! (The other morning I found 4 plastic containers, 12 magnets, 2 learning toys, and his pajama bottoms in the trash!)Today, he figured out how to make the water dispenser on the refrigerator. I think I would have been alright if he had just filled a few, even several, cups for a nice cool beverage for any and all of our neighborhood friends. But instead, he was filling them and then dumping them on the mat in front of the refrigerator. Luckily, I caught him between cup #2 and #3.

I don't know. Except for the fruit throwing, I guess he is figuring the world out and doing as he sees done everyday at our house. (No lies, I might not be a fruit lover but I ain't hatin' on the fruit either:)) He is the third child so he receives a third of my attention. I guess I should be thankful he hasn't discovered matches or the weed eater! (Hmm. It is still only lunchtime.)

PS - Here is a funny pic from the other day. Ike had woken up that morning and had wet all over the bed. I cleaned him up and off we went with our day. A couple of hours later, I was rocking him for nap time and saw his pants were wet. What! How is that possible? Well, I took him to the changing table and when I went to grab the legs of his pants, I discovered our little problem.

I think in my haste to get Isaac ready that morning, I failed to attach the diaper correctly. I guess as the morning went on and the urine accumulated, the weight was just too much to bear anymore. So, south it went, right down to Ike's ankle! It was so full and fluffy. I don't know how his little leg could breathe with that diaper clogging the pant leg. Anyway, lesson learned. Mommy, take your time and double check things!





4 comments:

Jill said...

Reading this made my day! Mackenzie has also just discovered the ice/water maker and loves to create an icy wet mess when I am not looking. The best is when you step or slip on it unknowingly...uggh! Hang in there. This too shall pass (I am trying to remind myself of this during the terrible 2's!!)

Anonymous said...

We have witnessed some of Isaac's sweet antics first hand. He is such a happy little booger!

Love,
Granny Franny & Papa Bill

Jenni said...

Wasn't there a hurricane called IKE? Hmm? At least he's entertaining! Maybe Ike thinks Eli is wandering below just waiting on that fruit to hit the floor so he can swollow it in 2 bites. What a sweet thought.

Amy Wood said...

Girl! Bryce is his own hurricane. He and Ike would be double trouble. I feel your pain. If it weren't for Bryce being so darn cute I'd sell him in a garage sale :) I just KNOW Landon wasn't like this!