Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter Sunday

(Let me preface this blog by saying that I get the true meaning of Easter. But I will be honest in saying that although I am not of the world, simply living in it, there are times when my humanity overtakes me and the line between in and of becomes blurred.)
I am seven years into this parenting thing, and I think I have finally found a peace about the Mommy side of Easter morning. You know, the "Easter outfit". I guess the first few years went off without a hitch. Will was an only child and so it was easy to get one child coordinated and ready for his big Easter debut. But, the last few years we added children and it has messed me up. I mean, don't get me wrong, I spend hours thinking, plotting, and pounding the pavement looking for clothing that color coordinates the boys with Brent and I. And each year I wake up Easter morning feeling excited and prepared. Then, the boys wake and those positive feelings spiral downward quickly into Negativeland. This year looked to be no different.
I woke early so as to be ready early so that we could all be ready early and actually get a picture before church. (In years past, I have run short on time and settled for a picture after church which then resulted in disappointment because at least one child was asleep or heading that way and the other or others would sit for a picture but were coming down off of an Easter candy high and so their need to make Mommy happy was nonexistent.) The boys woke in fairly good moods and at a fairly descent time, especially for not going to bed until 10:30 pm.. (They were having somewhat of a sleepover with their best bud, Dad.) But, their attitudes turned sour when it was time to get dressed. Will didn't want to get dressed because he thought his shorts looked goofy. (They were blue and green plaid. Oh, the horror!) Sam was upset because his clothes were cold. What? Ike just didn't want to have anything to do with clothing. After much discussion of the quality of Will's new duds and how many children in other countries would love to wear plaid, a blow drier to Sam's shirt and shorts, and pinning Ike down to the floor in a wrestling type move seen only on the WWF, the three were dressed. They were not happy but dressed. Unfortunately, by this time we were running late so it was a quick look in the Easter baskets for a photo opportunity and it was out the door for church. Another year and another no photo of my family before church when reason might still exist. So, off we went to church and afterward we tried to take some pictures in the lobby in an attempt to avoid some drama. (This also allowed me to threaten to not take them home if they didn't sit for the picture;))
Well, here are the results. There are five people in the pictures when there should be five and three when there should be three. No, not everyone is looking at the camera. No not everyone is happy about being there but, they are there. I have told you this long story and this is the point: This is the year that I am ok with all of this. The pictures aren't perfect but we are not perfect. And one day these photos will remind me of life back in the day when each day was a challenge and an adventure. This was life when no matter how hard I planned, I was never prepared for the unexpected or the overwhelming. This was a time in my life when I needed Jesus the most! Who else can I blame or ask to explain this madness I call my life?




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how hard we try, life just isn't going to be perfect, is it? We'll all look pretty spiffy in heaven, though. Matching wings and all of that. Those pictures will make more of a memory than if the boys had all been willing to sit perfectly still and smile for the camera. I know that you know that. I also know that I know how you feel. Just once, we would like to get the perfect photo. Hang in there. They looked great!!!!

Love,
Mama Fran

Mary Jo said...

I love this! I believe I can relate! We hear the same story about the plaid, the evil collared shirt, and yes, I iron their clothes on Sunday am b/c they are cold and that makes them want (kinda) to put them on. It is motivating to get them out of bed, anyway, b/c they have to stand or sit by the ironing to make sure they get them on quick before they cool off!!
they do look great and I am now motivated to download mine and show them to you!!

Jenni said...

The discouraged perfectionalist in me gave up on matching and pictures long ago. Maybe the beach pic will go well. That's if Lexi's head isn't between her knees. I am allready seeing conflict--my kids are a bear in the pm timeslot, your kids are not early risers for the am time slot. HMM?

Stacy said...

Yep, I gave up that matching thing when Cooper was born... :) I figured out at least if they are dressed then I've done my job. The pictures turned out great, though!! And, you'll be able to torment your children with them when they have their own and follow in their fathers' footsteps. Then you'll be able to have a little chuckle and thank God for the wonderful memories.

Katie said...

I love it!!! Such a vivid picture of the Chisms on Easter morning and the joys of what I look forward to someday when I become a mom :) I love the Chism boys...your posts always give me a smile!