Monday, August 18, 2008

Technology


Ok, so when I found out that even my 50+ mother had a facebook account, I realized that I might need to get with the times and sign up too. So, yesterday I did just that. I filled in enough info to get started and quickly began accumulating friends. Oh fun!

It makes you feel so popular, everyone asking to be your friend. It is like school days again, well, except for the fact that I have no idea what to do now. I have these friends but I am not exactly sure what to do with them. In fact, I am not sure what facebook is about. I guess if I was single and wanted to meet strangers, this is a way to do it. It is sort of a cyberclub maybe? I am not on the hunt, so I guess this is a way to chat with my friends but I haven't figured out how that is different from email or even my blog for that matter. And, do I have to keep up on my facebook like I do my blog? You see how well I am doing at that lately;)

Then, there is this way to say what you are doing at that moment in time. Boy, does that make my life seem boring. I only wrote once today about what I was doing because I didn't feel that making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or breastfeeding was facebook worthy.

I will admit that it is fascinating to try and find people but it is also time consuming. I could sit all day and try and think of old school friends but I do have children to feed so instead I just wander through the day completing tasks thinking, "Hm mm, I wonder if she's on facebook." I guess I need to make a list or maybe my friends will find me.

And, I think you should be required to post at least one picture of yourself to help a girl out in her search. I am looking for friends and the generic grey, shadow outline of a man really doesn't help me know if that is my friend Tiffany from long ago. But on the other hand the generic man is nice in some cases because call me prude, but I really don't want a friend who posts the opening pic of herself mugging on some man. First, gross. Second, I can't even see your face to see if you are my friend!!!! Clearly, there are reasons why it has taken me so long to get into facebook. First and foremost, I am really not cool enough!

6 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I totally agree. I got into it by default. I have never said what I am currently doing, nor do I think anyone would be interested in knowing. REally, who cares! I do like seeing where people are and what they are up to. But I put a link to my blog on the info part...so if they wanna know what we are up to they can just go there. I'm with you, three kids are way to much to juggle to mess with that.

Jenni said...

I, in fact, just checked my email and have not accepted you as a friend yet, because I don't want to look too eager or appear to be on it too much! And I just can't bring myself to post what I am doing "right now" because, honestly, I find that part of it to be a little sad--do people really care what I am doing at that very moment? Probably not!. And really, I am not sure I want some people to find me. What it really boils down to for me, is that when I first got a facebook account, my college attending brother was the first to write "don't you have anything better to do?" on my wall--and, well, I have had trouble logging on eversince!

Katie said...

You make me laugh...but it's all so true :)

Kt

Whitney said...

I completely agree with everything you said- it is soooo addicting! I was up until midnight the other day looking for people that I know! My husband just rolls his eyes at me...

Blogging is still my first love, but facebook is great too!

the boyd girls.... said...

You inspried me to start a facebook page....

Dean, Mila, Parker, Presley, Paige said...

you are too funny!! We miss seeing you guys.. I am adding you to our blog.. yes, I finally joined the blog world!