Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Party!!!!!

Well, we did it! Will got his braces off today, and I didn't hardly cry. I got a little teary when Miss Jill showed us the before and after pictures but I so didn't go into soap opera drama:). I kept it together and just savored the fun of the moment. And when I say, "Fun", I mean "fun"!
The office takes braces off just one day a month. I guess because they do it in a big way. Dr. Landers wears a tuxedo. Woo hoo! His wonderful assistants wear fabulous evening gowns. Gorgeous! There are balloons and a big banner. There is a table of fun glass jars filled with all the things a child should avoid when wearing braces. (I think we get a "C" for that effort. I mean I get Laffy Taffy but who would have thought that cheese balls were off limits? They are heaven covered in artificial cheese dust!) After Will got his braces off, he got an oriental take out box to fill with these sugary delights. Oh, and then there was Miss Jill acting as the "Party Pic Man" taking all kinds of photos. (Party Pic Man was a reference to my high school dance days:))
What a nice way to celebrate a special day. I am not sure Will caught it all in the office. I think he was distracted by the television screen in the ceiling. But once we got in the car, it began to sink in. He began thinking about those before and after pictures and he got it.
He was not a fan of the braces. Neither Brent nor I had ever made a big deal of his teeth before the braces so I am not sure he understood the purpose. He got used to them and rarely complained, but today got it. He was grinning from ear to ear. I offered him the rest of the day off from school to hang with me and celebrate. He chose to go back and show off his big deal:) I cannot even explain how happy inside that makes me.
I think I get why Dr. Landers does what he does. Up to this point, I honestly thought it would be kind of yucky working in all sorts of mouths. Today I saw how his work creates a new confidence in these kiddos. It was fun to see the delight in Will's eyes.
Today was a great day. Thank you God for giving us the resources to afford such a wonderful gift. Thank you Brent for committing to our family that you would take care of us in every way. And thank you Dr. Landers, Miss Jill, and the other very special ladies that have worked on Will's braces this past year and a few months. He is walking taller this afternoon because of each of you:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I cried again. You said it so well. Will is blessed to have you as Mom and Brent as dad. And, you guys are blessed to have him. He will someday realize just how loved he is. So happy that he got it and that his step had a little spring in it when he returned to school. Awesome!

Love,
Granny Franny

Katie said...

You had a great smile before Will, but now, it really shines! Congrats!

PS: I wish I would have had such a neat party when I get my braces off:)