Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween





Obviously the boys were Alvin and The Chipmunks for Halloween this year. They decided on this last year sometime and I thought it would be a great and easy costume choice. Well about a month ago, long after Mommy had her heart set on the Chipmunks, Will began to waiver and wanted to be superheroes instead. Now, without using guilt, I talked with Will about the fact that his brother, Sam, was still thinking they were going to be Chipmunks. I also explained that Mommy has limited sewing skills and wasn't sure how to make superhero costumes on such short notice. (I didn't mention to him how wonderfully perfect I thought they would be as the Chipmunks. Will is the tall, thinker in the group. Sam is the middle, kind of energetic one. And Ike, he is the smaller, rounder, snuggler. I also knew deep inside that this might be the last year that I could get them to all go as something coordinated and cute.)
Will being the more than I could ever hope for reasonable one in our family, got back into the idea of the Chipmunks and we promised to look for superhero costumes when they went on sale after Halloween! He seemed happy with the compromise. Sam got to be Alvin. Will got an extra costume out of the deal and Isaac was oblivious to it all.
I am not sure if you picked up early in this blog about how easy I thought these costumes would be. Unfortunately, the "easy" costumes I planned were not quite as easy as I thought. I was anticipating purchasing all the parts and just putting it together. Well, I clearly hadn't thought it through so I actually had to make turtlenecks. Although the Chipmunks my boys know wear hoodies, the ones I remember wore turtlenecks down to their ankles and they don't make many patterns for turtlenecks. So I had to sort of make my own pattern up so I was pleased as punch that they turned out and didn't fall apart. (I have had a few issues lately with homemade curtains so I don't feel at all bad about the pride I feel in the costumes;))
Anyway, my Dad, Pawpaw, came to spend Halloween with all the grandkids. We convinced him to be "Dave" in our Chipmunk gang. It was wonderful to have him here to trick or treat with us. He was Isaac's handler:)

4 comments:

Amy McCown said...

How cute. Dr. Rhine would be so proud of your sewing skills.

The Stay Family said...

Just adorable, Ashlee! The boys look GREAT in their costumes!!! We missed you all trick or treating this year!

Anonymous said...

Cutest chipmunks ever!!!!! They were delightful! It was great to see you all and your little chipmunk family. Come back soon!

Love,
Mama Fran

Mary Jo said...

I am so impressed! I don't care a lick about those curtains...these costumes totally make up for them!