Sunday, September 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Sam!

So, my post is a little late for this one but life got overwhelming the last week or two so I am taking a pass.

Sam you are 4 years-old now and you are awesome. You are one of those kids who just makes people smile. I never know what I might get from you. There is no hiding who you are or what you are feeling. You are my boy who will crawl up in my lap for a snuggle and hug one minute and then the next whack me in the head for no particular reason. You are not a morning person or a night time person. You are a middle of the day kind of guy. Until about a year ago you were a huge mama's boy. There was no one in the world like me in your eyes. Now, I am chopped liver and your big brother can't be beat. Most days you won't let me take your picture and find it entertaining to make me work for a photo. Shoot, we bought a faster camera just so that I could get a shot or two of you from time to time. One day when you have serious middle child syndrome and try to complain that we just didn't love you enough and take pictures of you, know that it was not for lack of effort. In fact, I get leery on Kid's Day Out and preschool photo days because they seem to always make mommies prepay. I just never know what you will do. So far, most of the time you have not even faked a smile. Don't get me wrong buddy, you are a happy little boy. But, you know what you want and want to do and anything outside of that is simply a distraction.
You are boy down to the bone. I am reminded of it everytime you smile. One of your front teeth is grey (dead) and the other one is a creamy white color (also dead). Those teeth are chipped too. You just run head first into life. Most of the time, not if, but when you fall down you pop right back up and say, "I'm okay. That didn't hurt." You take some pretty good spills but you rarely stop for medical attention. You might miss something:)
You are an amazing part of our family. You provide so many laughs. I never know what you are going to say or if you are going to say anything for that matter. You can spend hours in silence simply pointing at what you want. (When you were just beginning to talk you left part of words off. We worked hard to figure out what you were trying to say and at times you just pointed. We later found out that you spoke broken like that because you just couldn't hear. We got you tubes and away you went. Our house has not been the same since! I love it!)
I do treasure our conversations. Some days, you are very quiet but others, I can't get a word in. I can pick you up from preschool and they will say that you didn't say one word but then you get in the car and you talk nonstop all the way home! And boy, your take on the world is spectacular.
Right now you are a bit bossy but in a funny kind of way. You might ask me a question but before I can even answer, you tell me what to answer. You ask me for something to eat knowing all the while what you want. But, you want it to be my idea so you make me list off a series of items. Then when I list that one you wanted you reply, "Well, ok!" as if I talked you into something. You love silly words like diaper and underwear. I can't have a serious hygiene discussion with you because you simply think it is all hilarious!
You are a treat my friend. I love you more than I could ever explain. You are sleeping right now with a batman mask on that you got for your birthday. I see many days ahead that I will be taking a superhero to run errands.
Happy Birthday Sam! Thank you for an amazingly humbling and wonderful 4 years. Every day is an adventure with you. Mommy loves you.

PS - I chose this music (Funkytown and Bad Day) to start things off because Alvin and The Chipmunks are some of your favorites. At times I think you believe you are Alvin.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam,

This is soooo cool and soooo you! I can't believe that you are 4 years old already. You keep us laughing and those sweet hugs are cherished by your Granny and your Papa.

We love you very much,
Granny Franny and Papa Bill

Katie said...

Such a sweet post....Sam is a hoot and such a cutie! I'm glad I got to play letters with him last winter and hopefully he'll let me come and play again sometime. Happy Birthday Sam!

Wes and Bonnie said...

That is the sweetest thing ever to write about Sam. I really enjoyed it and the slideshow. The potty hat is awsome!

Jenni said...

Sam, we sure do love to laugh about you! You crack us up! I love this post, Ashlee, what a treasure for him to read one day! The boys and I have been dancing to "funky town" all week in Sam's honor!
Jenni

Whitney said...

Ashlee,
Just wanted to remind you to send me your address for the pay it forward! Send it to wkstarnes@yahoo.com